This celebration helps raise awareness and funds to restore the Indian River Lagoon
BREVARD COUNTY • PALM BAY, FLORIDA – The Marine Resources Council will celebrate International Mangrove Day by hosting “Mangroves Matter,” a free event set for Saturday, July 20 from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Marine Resources Council Science, Education, and Mangrove teams will be on hand to answer mangrove and lagoon questions.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
The event will feature a delicious menu from Coastal Crab Company, live local musicians, along with a mangrove donation and planting drive.
This festivities will take place at Marine Resources Council’s Ted Moorhead Lagoon House Learning Center at 3275 Dixie Hwy NE in Palm Bay.
This celebration helps raise awareness and funds to restore the Indian River Lagoon. Educational presentations include a rain barrel workshop, mangrove propagule collection contest, artisan rain barrel auction, silent auction, prizes and more.
The international day for the conservation of the mangrove ecosystem — an official UNESCO observance — was initiated by Ecuador and officially established in 2015.
The Marine Resources Council International Mangrove Day “Mangroves Matter” activities include:
- Mangrove Donation Drive. For every $20 raised MRC will plant 1 mangrove into the IRL estuary. To contribute please register HERE.
- Rain Barrel Workshop (9:30 a.m.) Free to attend. $55 to build a 55-gallon rain barrel at the workshop to take home.
- The City of Melbourne is offering a $50 rain barrel rebate for its residents, CLICK HERE.
- Learn the benefits of saving water and how to construct a rain barrel. One barrel can prevent over 50,000 gallons of polluted stormwater from entering the lagoon.
- MRC Mangrove Talk (10:30 a.m.) Learn the importance of mangroves in the Indian River Lagoon and the regulations in place to protect them. This is great for lagoon residents to learn how to manage their mangroves and restore their shorelines.
- Mangrove Propagule Collection Contest! Propagules are starting to fall and wash up on our beaches and lagoon shorelines. The attendee that brings the most live mangrove seeds and propagules to the event will win a 55-gallon Rain Barrel and an event t-shirt. (Propagules must be turned in by 10:30 a.m. the day of the event. Winner will be announced at 1 p.m.)
- Mangrove Potting/Planting Workshop (11 a.m.) Come get your hands dirty with mangroves! (Adopt a Mangrove and join the MRC Mangrove Team! You can register to learn how to grow mangroves at your home, for MRC’s future shoreline restoration projects.)
- Coastal Crab Company Menu: (Foodservice 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
- Choice of garlic shrimp or BBQ Pulled Pork with sides: sausage, crab rice, potatoes, & corn
- Live Local Music (11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Education Presentation TBA (12:30)
- Local Vendors, Art, & Gift Booths
- Limited edition event shirt. Shirts are only available on a preorder basis ($20 & must order by 7/14).
- Proceeds go to MRC’s effort to save the Indian River Lagoon.
CLICK HERE FOR BREVARD COUNTY NEWS