Brevard County once encompassed parts of Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, Okeechobee, Osceola, Orange and Volusia Counties. The Brevard County courthouse was often moved, depending on the strength of various political factions. From 1875 to 1878 the courthouse stood at Lake View in Osceola County until it burned to the ground.
Lakeland-based Crusader Demolition demolished Cocoa Beach’s landmark, “The Glass Bank” building in 2015.
Florida joined the Confederate States of America at the beginning of the Civil War, as third of the original seven states to secede from the Union, following Lincoln’s 1860 election.
On Feb. 20, 1962, John Glenn launched from Cape Canaveral’s Launch Complex 14 to become the first American to orbit the Earth. Ahead of Glenn’s spaceflight, Panorama was in Cocoa Beach, to gauge the mood of the people and the man himself.
When the Jacksonville, Tampa and Key West Railroad line arrived at Titusville at the end of 1885, it opened a new era of transportation by linking with the Indian River steamboats in what was called the “Tropical Trunk Line.”
A look back at the now abandoned Eau Gallie Speedway, which sat on 20 acres along the west side of Wickham Road. It opened in 1957 as “The Spinning Wheel Speedway,” and was also later known as Brevard Speedway, Eau Gallie Speedway and Melbourne Speedway.
Indialantic started in 1915 when Ernest Kouwen-Hoven moved to Melbourne and purchased a strip of beach side land lying between the Indian River and the Atlantic Ocean.